Thursday, February 14, 2013

Shades of Grey (and purple)


No. 1 question clients ask: "What should we wear?"
It's a fine question. An important question.
No t-shirts, busy patterns or extra stripes. Stick to simple and solid.
Unless you're going for a bohemian, shabby-chic look, and then...
all those layers and flounce are faaaabulous!
This mom booked a family session for her brood of six, and flat-out told me,
 "We'll be in purple." 
An image of Barney flicked through my mind and I grew afriad.
Very afraid.
So, happy me when they tumbled out of their car looking amazing!
Jeans + various shades of lavender, with hits of grey = fab!


Though the name of the game is natural and candid
a few props and a solid game plan never hurt.
Love using an empty picture frame to highlight subjects.
First mom and dad (a little respect for how it all got started),
then switch to focus on the kids.
It was a little tough managing four faces of various heighth 
inside the frame, but we got it.


In this shot, I knew the background would turn out lovely.
But couldn't predict the flowered tree would appear quiet so fantastically drippy -
almost like a watercolor - love it!



I always like to include a head shot of mom and dad
during the session. Why not? Everyone looks so nice, and has made the
effort to dress up and get themselves all perfectly-perfect.


For the first 20 minutes of the session this little girl was so upset.
Bad day out of nowhere.
We can all relate.
Crying. Tears. Then worry about puffy eyes and embarrassment.
We all hugged her, and told her things were fine, fine, fine.
Because they were.
We got her calm and cleaned-up, and proceeded taking shots.
I wanted a nice portrait of each of the kids along with all
the family shots.


It's important to create motion.
Hate to see sessions where everyone is stationary in shot after shot.
Walking images can be a little tricky, especially the more people you add.
But if you take enough shots,
one or two are bound to turn out well.
I almost wanted to take the rake out of brother's hand (we used it
to create and jump in a leaf pile) but then, I had to admit
I couldn't carry everything. And he wanted to help.



Love it when kids start to find their own little places to nestle-down
for a shot. I've found it takes at least 30 minutes for them to get into
the groove and relax. This daughter really wasn't loving having her
picture taken until the very end of our session.
 Finally, I look over and see that
she's planted herself in the bottom of a tree. Like a swing.
"Is this okay?" she asked.
Perfect. Just perfect.


The oldest daughter is so glam gorgeous, I have no idea
why she's not modeling. I'll be circling back around with her
in the future, to take some other shots.
I will also admit: my hair never looked that good in high school.


No comments:

Post a Comment