Friday, September 14, 2012

Artful Arrangement: within my walls

A MENAGERIE OF STYLES SLEEPING TOGETHER UNDER ONE ROOF. 
There are little spaces all over my home which make me smile. A mish-mash of eclectic, funky, shabby chic and feminine. Dabs of industrial thrown in so scalloped edges don't get too out of line.



The original enamel on our 1954 Wedgewood gas stove was plain-Jane white.
I asked the appliance refurbisher if its new coating could be chocolate brown. More modern, less expected. In this world of double ovens and gigantic sub z's, its solo petite baking compartment seems downright quaint. But its chunky chrome and retro knobs made my heart melt, and I had to have it.
A possible case of form over function.
However, the tiny oven does fit a Thanksgiving turkey - barely - and that's all I ask.
In any case, I love walking into my kitchen every morning because of its presence.























Wine-crate panels are fantastic to decorate with even if you don't own a fancy wine cellar.
Various type treatments and graphics are intriguing placed side by side. It's a practical treatment for a kitchen counter area where scuffs accumulate at alarming rates. These textured panels are made to take a beating; dings just sorta blend together. Industrial bar stools are stamped with the label: Property of Indiana University. Numerical stencils on the seats were applied with a steady hand - my own.


MASCULINE PINSTRIPE curtains never hurt anyone.
Plus, they keep rooms room from leaning too girly. 
You'd almost expect them in a bedroom, or more private quarters. I hung them in the wide
open instead - our busy kitchen area.


My screened-in porch is truly a second living space for our busy family of five.
Al fresco dinners and games of chess take place around this old table I painted a glossy ebony. Ghost chairs and a modern-esque painting feauturing the kids' footprints keep things lively. Silver corrugated metal ceiling reflects natural light, keeping the space from getting gloomy. An oversized bread board holds my centerpiece menagerie: candles and found objects and plants stuffed into silver serving pieces. A formal water pitcher now holds a vertically-minded plant.
All set among chunky, rusted railroad nails.



































Piano room features framed sheet music belonging to my grandmother and mother. An instant gallery of playful vintage graphic design. A set of old walnut shutters flank the patchwork seating arrangement. Nestled on top of the baby grand: a collection of books, Bach and ivory piano keys stuffed into an oversized mason jar.

































Vintage gas cans gather round a little old red wagon that's seen better days. My version of yard art for a previously unadorned corner of the backyard.

All images taken by...
www.kathleenmoorephotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment